November 19, 2009

Home Improvements

So I really hate my home decor right now. I've been researching ways I can spruce up a small space on a small budget and I've come across some great ideas, but now I just have to come across the junk to make it happen. If any of you come across any cheap deals on furniture, lamps, small decorations (mostly for hanging) OR if you have any good decorating tips please let me know!! I welcome any and all suggestions you have for me!

Some of the ideas I've come across (Mainly from http://www.allthingsthrifty.blogspot.com/):

1) If you don't have a headboard you can get a curtain rod and drape a nice quilt or thick piece of your favorite fabric over the rod and have that hang down the wall at the head of your bed. (way simple and fairly inexpensive depending on the fabric you choose)



OR another headboard idea is to buy a large piece of ply-wood (this would need to be measured with the length of the bed and however high you want it) and then again get a large piece of fabric and fold it over the wood- stapling it to the back of the board. Then just lean it against the wall and push your bed up against it.


2) Spray Paint is your friend. If you find a great lamp or some other piece of home furnishing that is great except for the color (anything from DI, pretty much), just buy some spray paint and change it! For lamps, there are spray paints that look metallic-y, so your guests can't tell you've painted over it.




Doug and I recently put up a couple new shelves in our living room to put our speakers on (surrounding the fireplace) I love how it looks now. It makes the hearth so much less crowded. We also got a fake plant to put on the hearth instead of the speakers and it really helps liven the room up.  We're just taking small steps right now. But hopefully it'll look much better soon!

No comments: