July 15, 2011

Love Poem for Doug

In my creative writing class this week, we were working on poems & poetry. Each person in class had two different objects or ideas they had to combine into one poem. Some students wrote about "rocks" and "death". Others wrote about "rotten food" and "God". My two were "husband" and "love".

When I first was given the writing prompt, I thought, "ugh, this is going to turn out to be a cheesy love poem" So I tried really hard to NOT make it a cheesy love poem.

I wrote this poem in about 15 minutes, so it's not amazing or anything but I am pleased with it. I think it gives you a pretty cute glimpse into our life. It's about Doug always stealing my blankets. :)


Love 
I tug on the blankets, hoping for an inch or two of slack

With little success, I climb the mount of down comfort- kissing the top of its head

It starts to rumble, and then roll onto what I perceive is its back

The mass unravels and peels off like the skin of a snake, being shed

I finally receive what I’ve lacked.

No comments: